- (2 cups) Leftover BCS Chicken chicken (diced or shredded)
- (2 T.) Coconut oil (or substitute butter)
- (½ cup) Chopped sweet red and green peppers (Poppy's Eggs & Produce)
- (1 cup) 2Brothers chipotle salsa (Brawley Foods)
- (3 cups) Cooked white rice (or Spanish rice)
- (1 can (15 oz.)) Black beans (drained)
- (1 cup) Shredded cheddar cheese
- (1 cup) Tomatoes, chopped (Poppy's Eggs & Produce)
- (3 t.) Oregano-garlic vinegar (Pickle Your Fancy)
- (½ t. each) Cumin, garlic powder, salt
- Tortillas (homemade are simple with lard from Senter Ranch)
1. Dice or shred two cups of BCS Chicken chicken leftovers. Either white or dark meat work well in this recipe.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 1 min, and add the coconut oil (or butter); fry the chopped sweet peppers until tender.
3. Add the chicken to the pan. Stir until heated through, then add the 2 Brothers salsa, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
4. When the chicken begins to simmer, add the rice and black beans, and stir until heated through. Remove from heat.
5. Add the shredded cheese, tomatoes, and vinegar; stir just to mix.
Fill tortillas and serve.
This recipe is very versatile. I used white rice made with chicken stock and a dash of cumin rather than Spanish rice. I didn't have any onions or cilantro on hand, or I might have added those. The 2Brothers salsa was from another great Brazos Valley Farmers' Market vendor. I used their medium; the chipotle kick was a perfect fit. The herb vinegar is great for adding a bit of tang to the wrap; Virginia with "Pickle Your Fancy" has a cilantro vinegar, but I went with oregano-garlic. Try a squeeze of lime as a replacement. A nice dab of sour cream and guacamole would have been a good finishing touch.Homemade tortillas are easy to make and a great addition to any taco/burrito/wrap recipe. I rendered lard from pastured pork fat I got from Scott Family Farms and used this recipe. I used finely diced chicken rather than grilled leftovers, so my finished wraps look a bit 'rustic', but tasted excellent.